Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Lesson 8B: Traffic Pattern Operation, Class D Operation, Forward Slips

Today, I conquered class D airspace! I was able to communicate with air traffic control as well as ground control at Easton airport. I also made it to Easton airport without getting lost. I followed basic pilotage by looking out the window and referencing the ground landmarks and the sectional chart on my kneeboard. I had a lot of aid from the GPS as well : ) but nonetheless I made it. Once I had instructions from ATC I began working in the traffic pattern. I need to continue practicing the maneuvers for entering the traffic pattern and especially for landings. It is difficult to follow a traffic pattern at a foreign airport. I am used to the landmarks at Bay Bridge airport but I have only been to Easton airport twice. An important part of the traffic pattern is called the "Key Point" which is when the airplanes wing tip is abeam of the runway numbers in the downwind leg of the traffic pattern. At this point a pilot will know if they are going to be able to execute a normal landing, prepare for a steep approach, or add power to make it to the runway. I had fun practicing landing. It will take a lot of practice to perfect flaring the plane for landing. At one point as I was coming in for a landing and I heard ATC informing another pilot that I was landing on runway 33 and the pilot replied to ATC saying something like "wow it looks like that light sport is having a rough time landing I will give him some space" and I was laughing because the glide slope for my landing must have looked pretty bad for someone to say that. Oh well I will get better with practice. I got to try the forward slip again and enjoyed it. What an important maneuver to bring the plane down quickly from a high altitude without increasing the airspeed. I landed and tuned my radio to ground control and was given instructions to taxi on taxiway bravo to alpha to get to the terminal. I took a little walking break and then back into the plane to Bay Bridge. I conquered my fears of communicating with ATC and ground control and I did not get lost! A perfect day. I even practiced some crabbing on the base leg coming into Bay Bridge! What a fun afternoon and a relief to have conquered class D airspace.

No comments:

Post a Comment