Friday, February 3, 2012

Lesson 11: Landing practice at Bay Bridge

Today I practiced my landings at Bay Bridge. I can now appreciate landing a plane after crosswind landings at Ridgley. I tuned in to the Bay Bridge AWOS and for the first time I heard the phrase calm winds at Bay Bridge. Wow! No crazy crosswind? It was beautiful. On my first pass around the traffic I landed. I also learned that a "go around" is not a negative thing. It shows a pilots ability to make the right decision when forcing a landing is NOT the best idea. Every approach should be considered for a go around unless the landing looks and feels just right, then the go around could be aborted. It was a lot of fun feeling more comfortable and confidant about landing. I did a great job controlling my airspeed by trimming properly and I got down crabbing into the wind!

I learned that I should not be so critical on myself to be a perfect pilot but that I should be looking for improvement from my previous lessons. In the end it was a gorgeous warm day for the beginning of February. It was an amazing way to end a week and spend a Friday afternoon.

P.S. I should solo in the next lesson or two!

No comments:

Post a Comment