Friday, June 15, 2012

Lesson 29: Crosswind take-off and landing practice

I spent an afternoon at Bay Bridge Airport working on my crosswind landings and take-offs. After nine successful landings, I was worn out! Obviously, during a crosswind take-off, one should be prepared to use the rudder more than usual, but boy my feet were working the rudder pedals today. It is important to remember to keep the stick into the wind while taxiing and NEVER let the aircraft fly itself. Upon rotation and climb out, I immediately crabbed into the wind to stay above the center line of the runway. My previous work of turns around a point and s turns really paid off during my practice today. I will say that coming in on final, low power, low airspeed, a side slip to stay on center and immediate rudder and control upon landing is tiresome yet invigorating at the same time. You really know you are flying on days like these!

No comments:

Post a Comment