Saturday, July 7, 2012

Lesson 35: Stage two check

Today was a big milestone! I made it through my stage two check from W29, planned a cross country to OXB and a deviation to RJD and back to W29. It was about a two hour flight. I met my stage two check examiner and talked him through my cross country plans. I demonstrated a good pre-flight and took off!

After a few minutes of hitting all my check points accurately, the examiner informed me that there was a large earthquake at OXB and we would need to deviate to RJD. I figured this was going to happen and quickly was nearing RJD. We then did a few emergency procedures and emergency descents, various maneuvers and a steep turn.


As we began the return trip to W29, the aircraft began suddenly climbing! I pushed down on the stick as hard as I could and nothing happened. I began to panic. The aircraft then leveled off after I struggled with the stick a bit longer. Suddenly, the aircraft began to climb again. I pushed down on the stick and checked my gauges. My examiner then asked me why my trim seemed to be on the fritz. He chuckled and then in a very serious tone, asked me why I hadn't noticed that my electric trim was out of control. He was sitting behind me adjusting the electronic trim tab and I hadn't noticed the change. He was disappointed in my lack of ability to react quickly to errors. He then asked me to continue to W29.

Upon landing, he asked me to taxi around to take-off again. I was so bummed. I was physically and mentally exhausted. I was frustrated with myself because I wanted today to go well and I had let my instructor down. Nonetheless, I taxied up to the displaced threshold, I checked the pattern, advised that I was taking off, and applied full throttle. We had just passed the numbers and my examiner yelled out, OIL PRESSURE IS IN THE RED, OIL PRESSURE IS IN THE RED! It took me far too long to abort the take off. As I retarded the throttle, communicated my abort, and exited the runway, I received an ear full from my examiner about how terrible my reaction time was and I had better start working on it.

Overall, my examiner felt that I was ready for my final check ride. I was relieved but he was firm that I needed to work on reaction time to be a safe pilot. I was happy the day was over and I was grateful for the lessons that I learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment