Friday, May 4, 2012

Lesson 20: Practice Maneuvers for Stage One Check


Fridays are wonderful for flying. It is the end of the work week, the beginning of the weekend, and there always seems to be gorgeous weather. May the 4th was a stormy early morning with a hazy cloudy afternoon. There was 7-20 mile visibility but I would need to get used to flying in a haze. The objective of the day was to review the maneuvers I had been taught many lessons ago to prepare for my stage one test. I will fly with a different instructor and they will be checking to see if I can demonstrate control of the aircraft in all of the maneuvers in order to be given the privilege to practice these maneuvers solo. My instructor and I would be reviewing these and if I pasted my instructors test I would be granted my stage one check. If I pass that I begin my solo work in preparation for my final check ride to get my license. Now, I still have a few other maneuvers as well as doing cross-country flying prior to my final check ride but I am moving along in the syllabus. I was eager to get up in the sky and demonstrate my ability to do the required maneuvers. I had been studying and doing my homework and I wanted to pass my instructors test to move on to my stage one check. We left the traffic pattern and headed out for the practice area over the eastern shore. She asked me to begin with a slow flight and climb to 4,000 feet in slow flight. This required me to control the plane at almost it's stall speed. I pitched the nose up to set an airspeed of about 45 knots just almost a stall (during the entire climb the stall warning horn was going off due to the low airspeed). I added my flaps to maintain enough lift and I gave the engine enough power to inevitably climb the required 3,000 feet in slow flight. Once there I leveled off and cleaned up the plane from slow flight. I was asked to execute a power-off stall. Ok, throttle back 3,500 rpms, pitch up for a 60 knot glide, add flaps, descend 300 feet, pull throttle back to idle, and pull back on the stick. This is to represent a stall when coming in to land. I pulled back on that stick until I was pointed at the ISS. Before you know it the plane starts to bounce and it drops slightly and the left wing dropped slightly and I calmly leveled the wings and pitched the nose down simultaneously adding full throttle. Alright now for the power-on stall representing stalling at take-off. 3,000 rpms, 45 knots, 10 degrees of flaps, add full throttle and pull back. The power-on stall was not exciting. The plane kind of buffeted but that was about it. I pitched back down to establish a 60 knot climb and I asked if there was a way to get the plane to drop more and have a more dramatic stall. My instructor said, sure, don't slowly ease back on the stick. So I set up for my power-on stall again except this time I pulled back hard on the stick and shot up towards the ISS and yep, the plane dropped a bit that time. We then did turning stalls to add to my experience of controlling the plane during a stall as well as in a weird maneuver. I needed to demonstrate steep turns next. 80 knots, level wings, pick a landmark, bank 30 degrees, add 100 rpms of power, enter 45 degree steep bank and maintain altitude. My first steep turn I lost a lot of altitude by not pitching the nose up enough prior to entering the steep turn. The second turn I passed up my landmark (the Bay Bridge off about 15nm in the distance) but it was still check ride worthy, but my third and final steep turn was within commercial pilot check ride standards! Now I'm happy and excited and seeing the payoff of all the studying and homework. All good things must come to an end. My instructor pulled back the throttle to idle and said I was having too much fun with the plane and caused the engine to fail what are you going to do now in this simulated engine failure, she asks me. I pitch for a 60 knot glide slope, find a suitable emergency landing field near a road or farm, mayday on 121.5 and set 7700 on my transponder, and attempt engine restart. In this simulation my engine failed to start so I began to circle my field losing altitude slowly and I looked at the wind direction on a nearby lake to figure out at which heading I should be entering the downwind leg for landing on the field. At about 500 feet I was on final approach for the field would have had to do a forward slip to make the field but we had to add full power and climb since I was at the minimum safe altitude. We headed back to the airport and practiced a few forward slips upon landing since it was fresh on our minds. It is always awkward approaching the runway with full left rudder and full right aileron. The plane is basically sideways and facing the runway perpendicularly and it is descending at a very fast rate, like riding an elevator. The intense sideways motion of the airplane adds so much drag that it maintains the current airspeed while losing altitude quickly. We did this three times to make sure I had it down. What a wonderful day and I was thrilled to have successfully executed the maneuvers so well and it truly was due to studying and reviewing homework. I was confidant and ready for my stage one check. It is scheduled for this coming Monday. I am ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment