Thursday, May 17, 2012

Lesson 24: Crosswind landing practice

Well...today I found out that my feet are connected to my brain. My feet woke up and started controlling the rudders! I just needed a good crosswind, some excellent instruction and I was back fighting the winds using my feet on the rudders in coordination with the ailerons. It was a gorgeous day and just the right amount of crosswind to get me back on track. Soon I will be working on short and soft field landings on a grass runway as well some instrument work. I learned that you must be able to recognize when you have become rusty and to get in some lessons with an instructor to get back on track. Crosswinds are one of the most important maneuvers to have under your belt at ALL times as a sport pilot due to the light nature of the planes. The winds can more easily push the LSAs around so you have to become a better pilot and be able to control the plane in crosswinds. You must remain the pilot-in-command at all times and never allow the situation to become airplane-in-command.

My instructor also mentioned today that flying can help you in many ways. One way can be best stated by Jamie Beckett. He recommends that job seekers learn to fly as a way to make their resume stand out. "Being able to include the word 'pilot' on your resume tends to separate you from the crowd", he writes. "It's an accomplishment that not only has practical value, but it says something about the person who carries it."

In addition. This is a message to my SRHS students. Please remember to call CSP to schedule your free flight on June 3rd for the Young Eagle's event.

No comments:

Post a Comment